Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Washington Day 5

I have nothing to report for today. Larry is still putting out work fires, and I did just exactly what I wanted to do today, which was nothing. Let me bore you with the details. I finally dragged myself outta bed about 11 AM. Larry had been up and working and on phone calls since about 6 AM. He had already put in half a work day by the time I even cracked open an eyelid. Lazy bum.

We walked outside the hotel to go to lunch and it was pouring down rain and we had only one umbrella. So Larry stayed at the hotel while I walked down to the CVS store to buy another umbrella. Well, wouldn't you know it -- it stopped raining right after I bought the umbrella. Oh well. We then walked down, or maybe it was up cuz I don't know, to the Veterans' Administration Building where we had a quick lunch and then Larry arranged some meetings with the higher ups and I waited in the cafeteria for him. He was gone only a short time, so we walked back to the hotel for him to do some more work and me to take a nap. Yes, alas it was already time for a nap. Larry worked, I napped. Then Larry had to go back to the VA for a meeting, while I continued to nap and read touristy brochures. When he was coming back to the hotel from his meeting, he said he saw two Marine One heliopters fly over coming from the direction of the White House.

It was time to go to dinner then, or so I thought, but he was on so many conference calls that he sent me to pick up his shirts from the laundry while he finished up some phone calls from our hotel room. Here's the good part. I was walking out of the laundry and heard all the motorcycles and police sirens and watched speeding black limousines and police escorts go past. Since our hotel is directly north of the White House, this street must be a normal travel route for the prez. Anyway, everybody on the street stopped and watched. I could have sworn I saw somebody wave from the passenger side of one of the black limos. Who knows? Maybe it was just the girls coming home from school, even though it was kinda late in the afternoon for school to be getting out.

I forgot to mention a few days ago that when I was out traipsing around the neighborhood by myself, I walked back past the south side of the White House and saw lots of camera equipmemt set up outside the Oval Office. Guess Mr. Pres. was going to make a speech of some kind later in the day. That was neat to see. Now I know where the shot is coming from when I see it on TV.

I also forgot to mention that when Larry and I were at the Museum of American History last Saturday, we rode on two simulator rides -- one of a 3-D cartoon car race and one of a 3-D underwater adventure in the Bermuda Triangle. Both rides were kinda cool, but the really should update and let Pixar do the animation.

OK, back to today. We had dinner at an Italian / Mexican place. Just a fast food little restaurant where we had slices of pizza. Then we went back by Heidi's Deli and bought a couple of chocolate chip cookies cuz my sweet tooth was screaming at me. The ladies who work in that place are so dang nice. I don't think there's anything they wouldn't do for a customer.

Now we're back at the hotel for the evening. Larry has lots more work to do, so I guess I'll just read. We can't turn the TV on cuz it disturbs his thinking. Oh well, there's nothing on worth watching anyway.

Til tomorrow.

No comments: