Sunday, April 19
I slept like a log Saturday night and didn't wake up until about 10 AM. Larry had two documents he had to prepare by Monday morning, so he spent some time working on those and just resting. We originally intended to go back down to the mall and see another museum or two, but we didn't. I think I went back to sleep and slept on and off until late afternoon when I finally got up and got dressed. We went out to take a walk and ended up back at the White House again, but this time we went to the front, I guess it was the front, where the balcony overlooks the huge lawn. I took some photos through the fence again. It was so pretty. We continued to walk and ended up at the opposite side of the White House where we had been on Friday night. Since we hadn't eaten much of anything we looked for somewhere to have some dinner. Mostly everything was closed by this time, which was about 8:30 PM, so we went back to the same del where we ate on Saturday night which was close to our hotel, Heidi's Deli. They make their own bread, and we could smell it cooking for Monday's customers. We just got a sandwich each, and they were huge. All I've had to eat here as of Sunday night was Mickey Dee's and deli sandwiches. Thank goodness there are vending machines in the basement of the hotel. And thank goodness for Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cookies. Sunday night I called Randy Gessel, my children's uncle from my first marriage. I haven't spoken to him in years and years and years. It was nice to touch base with him again. He spent the phone time telling ne how to get around DC. OK, so much for Sunday. We're on vacation, at least I am, so I did exactly what I wanted to do, which wasn't much.
Monday, April 20
This morning it was pouring down rain. We could hear the raindrops while we were still in bed. They sounded like big drops hitting a tin roof right outside the window. Although I woke up at 6 AM when Larry got up, I looked out the window, saw the heavy rain, and went right straight back to bed. Larry had phone meetings starting about 8 AM, so I woke up again when his meetings started, but was able to go right back to sleep. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Larry had a meeting at the VBA at 1 PM, so I did get up and get dressed before he got back about 2:15, at which time we hustled down to Mickey Dee's again to get a hamburger before Larry had to be back in the hotel room for a 3:00 phone conference. This is where we parted ways. It was still raining slightly, but I was tired of sitting in the room and wanted to go see something. Larry went back to the hotel, and I took off to see some sites on foot. I walked back down toward the White House with my red umbrella keeping me kinda dry with the intention was of going to the White House Visitor's Center, which is located across the street from the White House. I got lost. For some reason I cannot figure out which way is north and south in this city cuz there aren't any mountains to help me with directions. The skyscrapers surround you everywhere. I had to ask some security people in front of the White House how to get to the visitors' center. A cute young man with an Australian accent directed me. I was waaaaaaaaaaaaay off to where I thought I was. Thanking him, I strolled off to find some treasures / keepsakes in the visitors' center, which I thought was going to be a souvenir shop, but it wasn't. It was another small museum that had displays about the history of the White House and the people who have occupied it over the years. There was a very small shop there, but there weren't any of my kind of trinkets -- meaning cheap junk. I did find a really pretty Christmas ornament of a Christmas tree through a White House window, but the darn thing was $10, and I'm too dang cheap to spend that much mnoney on a little piece of gold painted flimsy tin.
After seeing everything I wanted to see there, I walked back outside with the intention of just going back to the hotel because it was still raining. But I decided I wanted to walk down to the National Mall and see the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial. So off me amd my red umbrella went. I knew it was going to be quite a walk, but I was determined to do it by foot and not use the Metro.
My first stop was the Washington Monument. Man, that sucker is tall. There was a long line of people waiting to ride the elevator to the top and have a view from there. I read that you have to get in line and get a ticket early in the morning and then come back at your appointed time to ride to the top -- kinda like the fastpass at Disneyland. I continued on toward the Lincoln Memorial, my ankles and feet beginning to bother me a little bit by them. The World War II Memorial is at the head of the reflecting pool. It was really cool. I love to see the war memorials. I had no idea what it looked it, but whoever designed it incorporated both the European and Pacific Theater of battles as well as the names of the states and territories that participated in the war. I was anxious to walk down the reflecting pool toward the Lincoln Memorial so that I can say I stood where Jennie stood in Forrest Gump when Forrest was speaking from the base of the Lincoln Memorial, and Jennie starts hollering "Forrest, Forrest," as she walked through the reflecting pool to get to him. I got a photo of the spot, I think. An orchestra was set up at the base of the memorial and they were turning their instruments as I arrived there. For those of you who have never seen the Lincoln Memorial, there are stairs, stairs, and more stairs to get up to the statuary itself. When I saw those steps after having walking about two miles to get there, I remember thinking of the kid in National Treasure who saw the stairs in the catacombs that would take the group to groundlevel when he said, "Stairs," but my tonality was not a positive one like his was. I didn't think my knees would let me climb all those stairs. Thank goodness I found an elevator to take me to the statuary hall. The memorial is everything you think it is and more. Inspirational to say the least. I have a better appreciation of Lincoln after having been here and viewing stuff about his administration and seeing his actual top hat and clothing and watch, and then the memorial. WOW!!
After leaving the Lincoln Memorial, I walked toward the Viet Name Memorial, stopping by the three soldiers statue that stands at the entrance to the memorial itself. Having lived when the VietNam war occurred, this was quite a site to see. Men who served in Viet Name, had not died during the war but had died after the war are not listed on the monument. However, their photos and names are included on small placards beside the monument walkway. And all the stuff you hear about people leaving stuff at the monument are true. Flowers, photos, postcards, and even food. I didn't understand, and still don't, why I saw stuff that looked with snowballs (you know, the coconut covered round cakes)that had a colored star on them that were melting in the rain. Just don't get that. Hmmmmmph.
I was getting really tired, so I decided to walk back to the hotel. My feet and ankles just didn't want to cooperate nuch longer. I was gone about 2 1/2 hours and walked a little over four miles. Even though I wasn't continually walking that whole time, it sure felt like it. I did take time out to look at stuff and take sone photos.
It was so muggy outside that I felt like a sweathog by the time I got back to Larry, who was watching TV. I took a shower to cool off and decided I wasn't going anywhere else tonight, including going out to dinner. So my sweet Larry walked down to an Italian restaurant and got us some fettucini alfredo, wsoup, salad, and bread and brought it back to the room. Yum!
Now I'm waitinag for 24 to come on TV. Sure wish I could write like Calley does. Then this wouldn't be so boring to read. Larry has to work again tomorrow, so I'm going to go off on my own again. Lots of places to go and lots of things to do and see. I think I'll start with the National Geographic Museum in honor of Calley.
1 comment:
National Geographic Museum?! JEALOUS!
Post a Comment