Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Finally, a New Post

This might be kind of long, but here goes.

Calley Graduates from Seminary

We attended Seminary Graduation with Calley on May 18. Four kids from our ward graduated out of the six graduates.

The Seminary Graduates

Calley and Mawmaw

We learned at the meeting, which was very short and sweet, that the kids had been through 144 weeks of searching and pondering in the Seminary program. They were admonished to take two things with them as they left Seminary: the power of daily scripture reading and to keep their hands on the iron rod. We are very proud of Calley.

A Canner Can't Can a Can, Can He?

Last Thursday Suey and I canned about seventy #10 cans of food storage. A friend of mine in our ward had reserved the canner for that day, and she offered it to ward members to be used during the day since she would use it in the evening after work. Well , surprisingly, no one indicated they wanted to use it. So I took it. Larry and I went to the cannery and purchased 108 cans, lids, absorber packs, etc. early in the week so as to be ready for Thursday. Suey and Abby came over after I had everything all set up in the green room, and we went to work canning sugar, flour, pancake mix, and cocoa. I think we did about 70 cans all together. I had to go back and buy more cans to replace the ones I used that I had purchased for my friend.


Suey and the canner

We were very glad to get that much more food storage put away. If you haven't tried the hot cocoa mix from the cannery, it is AWESOME -- the best cocoa mix I've ever tasted. Now, the trick is to get all those cases of food out of my green room and into my storage room, Suey's storage room, and my friend's storage room.

Calley's Honors Awards

We went to a program at TimpView on Thursday evening where Calley earned three Academic Letters -- World Languages, Student Leadership, and English. She has been an outstanding student - worked so hard to get good grades and be such a good daughter. We love her so much and are so proud of her.
Calley's Senior Photos

We finally got around to getting Calley's senior portraits done on Saturday. She and I went to a place called Portrait Innovations because they offered a special for $9.95. The only problem was that you can't get out of that place without spending a bundle because I wanted some of all the best shots. So, here are three of them. I'd put one of each up on here, but that would take the rest of the day. The ones below are unedited when it comes to cropping.



Memorial Day Week-end

Jennie and her family came in late Friday afternoon. It was so good for them to be here cuz I haven't seen them since they were here for Christmas. Those boys just keep growing and growing. They were here for the Memorial Day week-end and then left on Tuesday. They couldn't stay for Calley's graduation cuz the boys had end-of-school stuff down there that they couldn't miss. But that's OK. They'll be back up in about three weeks. I've cooked more in the past 4 or 5 days than I've done consistently in a long time. Big breakfast every morning except today (Wednesday). Saturday afternoon we all went to see Indiana Jones. It was OK, but not really anything spectacular. Cayden sat beside me and kept saying, "Grandma, will you take me home?' It rained a lot on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, but the kids managed to get outside a little. Connor mowed our yard and spent time helping me wash off the patio. He dug out a bunch of weeds and prepared a place in the flower bed for me to put in some tomato plants since the ones I planted in the front yard died. He's such a good worker.

Laurel's family came in on Saturday afternoon to stay for a week. I hadn't seen them since I was at their home in Albuquerque in February. Kids change and grow so dang fast. That evening we cooked hamburgers on the grill and ate like pigs.

Sunday was a church day. My Larry spoke in our ward on the topic of faith. He is such a good speaker. Several people commented to both him and me after church that his talk was really good. The Adams family and Jessie went with us. Jenni went with me to Relief Society, and I really enjoyed having her there. That evening we grilled some steaks and had steak salad and I don't remember what else. The days just seem to blend together and I can't remember squat.

Which brings us to Memorial Day. What happened on Memorial Day? I know we slept in, and I know we got together with Pam's family that evening, but I have no idea what happened during the day. It rained most of the day, but the clouds broke in early evening. We all went to the cemetery where we met up with Pam's family and shot some photos. Then we came back to our house where we had dinner -- we didn't cook that night. We bought chicken fingers and salads. Pam cooked some scones for dessert, and then the kids played around on Jim and Laurel's Wii. It was a very nice day.

At Pawpaw's Grave

Some of Mawmaw's great-grandchildren

Some of Mawmaw's grandchildren and husbands

Pam and Dave frying scones

Connor and David play Guitar Hero


Mawmaw trying to be funny

Cayden enjoyed wearing a doily and sunglasses on his head. Jim taught him to bow like he was bowing to royalty. Don said there weren't many dads who had sons who liked to wear doilies on their heads. But ain't he cute!


Suey playing a scuba game on the Wii

Larry bowling


All too soon the holiday came to an end. Jenni's family left on Tuesday morning. Laurel's family and Calley spent the afternoon at Gateway in Salt Lake and then drove to Layton to Chris and Anne's house. All of them then drove to Kaysville where they had dinner with my kids' Uncle Wayne and Aunt Bonnie Jo. Wayne has been suffering from a brain tumor for about a year now, but he's feeling OK even though the tumor has returned.



The Adams family at the bottom of our hill when they left.

Another Day

So, here we are on Wednesday afternoon. Mawmaw came by to drop off cookies from the MTC. Laurel's family met up with Suey and Abby at a place called Kangaroo Zoo for the kids to play on the inflateables for a while. We found out that David Farmer received his mission call today, after having turned his papers in 2 months and 1 week ago. His bishop held them and held them and held them. Don't know why. We're going over there tonight for a catfish fry and the opening the envelope ceremony. Will report on that tomorrow.

Anne and Chris just got here and brought a load of stuff from their house since the big move is this week-end. Calley has willingly given up her room so they can have the big downstairs bedroom with the walk-in closet. However, she hasn't cleaned it out yet and it looks worse than if a tornado had hit it. She's been very, very busy with work and finishing up school, so she kinda let the room slide. So we'll be working hard for the next couple of days to clean everything out of there. Nothing else going on.






No comments: